Fifer Orchards in Wyoming, Delaware has to be one of the best places where childhood memories and family traditions are made in our little state.
What’s not to love about Fifer Orchards Family Fun festivals with live music, pick your own fruit, hayrides, petting zoos, hand dipped ice cream, pick your pumpkin, choose your fresh cut Christmas tree, freshly baked apple cider donuts, corn mazes, s’mores by the fire and homemade apple cider? Whether it is a larger featured festival or just a fun, U-Pick strawberries weekend there is always a reason to get out of the house, save the television shows for later and enjoy the sunshine at Fifer’s farm.
From April to December, Fifer’s hosts a variety of events geared toward the current growing season. August is national peach month and I could not miss the popular Camden-Wyoming Peach Festival with peach ice cream day at Fifer Orchards. Every year the famous peach festival gets better and better!
A little bit of peach history. Delaware was the place to be for peaches in the 1800 and early 1900s. Spain first introduced them to our state in the 1800s and the crop flourished in Delaware’s fertile environment dubbing us the “Peach State”. In 1919 Charles Frederick Fifer moved to Delaware from the Shenandoah Valley in nearby Virginia. He started with 300 acres of land and a vision of growing high quality produce, crop diversification and farmland stewardship. Ninety five years later, his third and fourth generation family members are dedicated to growing and selling high quality produce while preserving the environment, serving the community and maintaining family values.
As the “Peach Blossom” state, you can find many peach festivals in our small towns during the month of August but Fifer’s is the first weekend and always well attended. I attribute the popularity to Fifer’s Peach Ice Cream Day!
They have various activities including live music, food vendors, games for the kids, train rides a petting zoo and free peach ice cream! The foodie in me was very impressed by the food selection, everything was well thought out and usually had a peach flair to it. My personal favorites were Nage Restaurant, Abbott’s Grill and Frankfurt Bakery.
Don’t miss a Nage Restaurant & Fifer Orchard event on September 12th! See below for event details.
While August is a great month for celebrating peaches, it is also a great reminder that my favorite season, fall is just around the corner! That means apple cider donuts, hot apple cider, pumpkin spice everything, delicious farm to table foodie events and s’mores! Fifer Orchards is a great place to visit with your loved ones to make great memories and support a local family owned and operated farm.
Mark your calendars for these upcoming events at Fifer Orchards:
– September 12th: Dinner on the Farm with Nage Restaurant, local beer tastings, local music, local wine tastings & 3 course localvore dinner!
– September 15th to November 1st: Fall Fest at Fifer Orchards! Corn Maze, hayrides, you pick pumpkins, you pick apples, apple cider donuts, pony rides, farm tours & much more !
– October 25th: Harvest Hustle 5K, proceeds benefit The American Cancer Society in Memory of Pat Vincent.
– November 29th – December 13th: Fifers Cider Fest Enjoy hot apple cider, holiday hayrides, s’mores by the fire, fresh cut locally grown Christmas trees, fresh locally made wreaths, handcrafted gift baskets and more.
– May: Annual Strawberry Festival
– June: Annual Blueberry Festival
– August: Annual Peach Festival
Connect with Fifer Orchards on Facebook, Twitter (@fiferorchards), Google Plus, YouTube or sign up for their newsletter.
Locations in Kent and Sussex County:
Farm & Country Store 1919 Allabands Mill Road Camden – Wyoming, DE 19934
Open: Monday – Saturday 8:00am – 6:00pm, Closed Sundays
Fifer’s Farm Market Cafe 200 Cullen Street Dewey Beach, DE 19971
Open: Monday – Saturday Call for hours, Closed Sundays
Before you go – 3 More Things About Fifer Orchards:
1. Fifer’s participates in Delaware’s Farm to School Program to give students healthier choices at lunchtime.
2. In addition to local produce they offer local grass fed beef, free range eggs, local ground turkey, glass bottled local milk, homemade peanut butter, homemade almond butter & apple butter!
3. They have an amazing CSA or Community Supported Agriculture program that everyone raves about. Just take a look at one of the weeks below and find out more about it on their website.
What are some of your favorite Fifer memories? If you haven’t had the Fifer’s Farm experience yet, I hope this post helps you get there!
Do you have a favorite Fifer Orchards Family Fun festival?! Feel free to share your thoughts with us.